25 Feb 2011

The Fourteen Points (Woodrow Wilson)

World war one had just ended with Germany's surrender and the major powers in the triple entente (France, Britain and America) met in Versailles (near Paris) to determine the future of Germany.
Woodrow Wilson (American President) had made a list of policies he wanted for the countries all over the world and called them his fourteen points. The principals of these were a league of nations to stop possible wars occurring in the future and no more empires to stop all fighting in the world.
This is a report I made which outlines the fourteen points from a German’s point of view.

The Fourteen Points: Germen report

          News of Woodrow Wilson’s Fourteen Points reached me today and I have read through them and I think that Wilson might actually be trying to help us in some ways but some of the fourteen points are disrespectful to Germany. There were four that stood out from the rest that I wish to explain my feelings on, to the German government.
          The first is that to give Poland back its independence and access to the sea. In my opinion this is outrageous because we have fairly won that land and lost many men in its defence. All the lives that were lost would be for nothing and then why do they need access to the sea? They never before had sea access and they managed, losing this land will cause many German citizens to want revenge and many of our citizens will be forced to live in Poland. This is our land and the Germans living in what Woodrow Wilson wants to be Poland will be extremely angry at America for agreeing to these points. I believe our land is our power so the more we lose the weaker we are in the modern world.
          The second I wish to explain is that the area of Alsace-Lorraine will be given back to France. Again I think this is decreasing the power of our country but this could help politically. Alsace-Lorraine is not a very large area and it is not very significant on its own so I think losing it will not affect anything. France really wants revenge but I think we could quench the thirst for German blood by returning Alsace-Lorraine to France peacefully so they may believe us completely surrendered. If France is left at its current level of hatred it could invade us secretly and kill more people.
          The third is that there shall no longer be any secret treaties. I agree completely with this because, although I was not involved in the planning of the Schlieffen plan, I believe if Britain would have presented the details of their treaty with Belgium then that could have been included in the Schlieffen Plan, then many lives would have been saved and the whole war could have been avoided. When we made a treaty we let every country know so that they are discouraged to invade, a secret treaty does not have this advantage, in my opinion there is no need of secret alliances in the modern day world.
          The last point is that Woodrow Wilson believes all countries should work towards disarmament. I think if every country agreed then it would easily make it safer for Germany, nevertheless we have seen how sly our opposition was in the war and they would continue to make weapons so if we stop they could take control of Germany. I hope you will not agree to this because then we will have no way to protect German land if our sly enemies were to attack.
          I trust you will consider my judgment and act accordingly. If you find flaw in my report I will give the matter more thought.

Not all of the fourteen points were introduced to the world. The treaty of Versailles had a major impact on Germany

No comments:

Post a Comment